Thursday, June 21, 2007

Liar or Not?
























The only things we know about Rousseau and her history are the
things she's told us about herself. Do you believe her story? And
while you're thinking about her -- did she arrive on the Island
before or after the Purge?


Sayid: And how did you come to be on this island, Danielle?
Danielle: We were part of a science team.
Sayid: A science team armed with rifles? Was Robert on the team?
Danielle: Yes.
Sayid: And Alex, was he, too?
Danielle: Our vessel was 3 days out of Tahiti when our instruments malfunctioned. It was night, a storm, the sounds. The ship slammed into rocks, ran aground, the hull breached beyond repair. So, we made camp. Dug out this temporary shelter. Temporary. Nearly 2 months we survived here, 2 months before...
Sayid: Your distress signal? The message I heard, you said, "It killed them all."
Danielle: We were coming back from the Black Rock. It was them. They were the carriers.
Sayid: Who were the carriers?
Danielle: The others.
Sayid: What others? What is the Black Rock? Have you seen other people on this island?
Danielle: No, but I hear them. Out there in the jungle. They whisper. Oh. You think I'm insane.
From Solitary

Danielle: The firing pin has been removed. Robert didn't notice it was missing either when I shot him.
Sayid: But you loved him.
Danielle: He was sick.
Sayid: Sick?
Danielle: It took them, one after the other. I had no choice. They were already lost.
Sayid: You killed them.
Danielle: What would have happened if we were rescued? I couldn't let that happen. I won't.

From Solitary

Hurley: Look, I came here to find... oh, easy, easy, easy. I'm... Im just getting your notes. Please, tell me why you wrote this. What do these numbers mean? Please.
Danielle: I don't know.
Hurley: What? You don't know? Okay, that thing in the woods, maybe it's a monster, maybe it's a pissed off giraffe, I don't know. The fact that no one is even looking for us, yeah, that's weird, but I just go along with it because I'm along for the ride, good old fun time Hurley. Well guess what? Now, I want some friggin' answers.
Danielle: Our ship picked up a transmission, a voice repeating those numbers. We changed course to investigate. After we shipwrecked my team continued to search for the transmission source. It was weeks before we found the radio tower.
Hurley: There's a radio tower on this island?
Danielle: Yes, up by the black rock. Some of us continued to search for the meaning of those numbers while we waited for rescue, but then the sickness came. When my team was gone, I went back up to the tower and changed the transmission.

From Numbers

Danielle: The others are coming. Our ship went aground on this island 16 years ago. There were 6 of us... my team, 6. At that time I was already 7 months pregnant. I delivered the infant myself. The baby and I were together for only 1 week when I saw black smoke... a pillar of black smoke 5 kilometers inland. That night they came they came and took her... Alex. They took my baby. And now, they're coming again. They're coming for all of you.
From Exodus, Pt. 1

4 comments:

PalmerEldritch said...

Not sure about "The Sickness" but, for the most part, I believe that batshiat crazy French chick.

Melissa_Lossa said...

I do believe her, but I have some questions. She tells Sayid that their instruments malfunctioned, and then they ran aground, without mentioning the transmission that she tells Hurley about. Did she just leave this out for simplicity, or is it ommitted for another reason?

Also, if she's never seen the others, what makes her think that they were the carriers of whatever disease her crew came down with? I do believe that her crew was sick and she had to kill them. Danielle's a little wacky, but she's always seemed completely lucid.

Another question is - why didn't Danielle get sick? It's not clear whether she was the only woman on their crew, but I'm sure she was the only pregnant woman. Could her pregnancy have somehow made her immune to whatever the sickness was? If the others were the carriers, did they actually infect the crew on purpose to get Danielle alone? It seems that Danielle's crew, unlike the Losties at first, was heavily armed. Maybe the others thought it would be too hard to get their hands on the baby if there were that many people with guns around.

That being said, I believe Danielle arrived post-purge. My guess is that the purge caused the fertility issues, and if that's the case, the others would have to already be aware of these issues when they took Alex. If they weren't already having baby problems, taking ALex doesn't make any sense.

Ange said...

No, I don't believe her story. I have always said though, that I think there is some sort of agreement between she and Ben. Like perhaps she gave him Alex in exchange for *something*.

Like melissa_lossa said, why didn't Danielle get sick if there really was a sickness. It just seems like there are too many holes. Maybe this comes from 16 years of mutating what really happened inside of her head, or maybe there is a whole different level to Danielle, that involves much more contact and cooperation with the others.

Yessi G said...

Danielle's story never sat well with me. Why in the world would a scientific research team be heavily armed? How could she have never seen the Others if they came for her baby? I think there is a lot more to her story. It would explain why her flashback episode keeps being pushed back.

Also in an interview Micheal Emerson mentioned a scene that was deleted from one of the episodes. In that scene he was talking about Danielle and how she was crazy and killed her research group. Emerson made it seem as though Ben really despised Danielle, so who know what is behind his strong feeling towards her.